Serving our community—both the Polaris community and that of the world outside our walls—is an important value at our school. We believe school-wide service projects and social-emotional education encourage our students to see others’ challenges as opportunities to show compassion and make a difference. Here are details on community service and social-emotional education at Polaris.
- Random Acts of Kindness
In October 2016, Polaris kicked off a school-wide social emotional program called Random Acts of Kindness (RAK). RAK is an organization that believes spreading kindness will make the world a significantly better place. We believe RAK helps our students increase their social-emotional intelligence by helping them be accountable for what they say and think as well as working to make the world a better place. It is wonderful to watch the kindness spread in our school, community and homes.
- Love and Logic
We are a Love and Logic School. We believe that students learn best in an atmosphere of mutual respect where they are able to make choices about their behavior while learning what it means to be a community and how keep in mind the needs of others. As part of Love and Logic, our staff developed a school-wide code of ethics:
- We believe that every attempt should be made to maintain the dignity of both adults and the students.
- We believe that students should be guided and expected to solve the problems without making problems for anyone else.
- We believe that misbehavior should be handled with natural consequences connected to the behavior instead of punishment whenever possible.
- We believe that each person should have the opportunity to give his or her perspective of situations when conflict arises.
Community Service Projects
- Spark Change for Hurricane Animals
In fall 2017, the Polaris Student Leadership Council voted to help animals impacted by the recent hurricanes, and our students raised $1164.34 that was donated to the Humane Society Disaster Relief Fund via Polaris’ Spark Change account at Young Americans Bank. Great job students! Thank you so much for your generosity!