September 1, 2017
We are certainly off to a great start! Thank you for coming to the Meet and Greet and to Curriculum Night. Our partnership with you is critical to our success in helping students grow and learn and, in my opinion, we could not have better families with whom to partner! I’m looking forward to seeing you at the grade level parent socials coming up this month. It’s a great time to learn more about our school and how you can help. It’s also a great time to socialize with other parents. Keep your eyes out for an evite with more details!
- First Grade: Sept 14 (Worrell’s)
- Second Grade: Sept 27 (Sawyer’s)
- Third Grade: Sept 28 (Freedman’s)
- Fourth Grade: Sept 28 (Rasmussen-Baack’s)
- Fifth Grade: Sept 14 (Kirkland’s)
The beginning of the school year is one full of adjustments. This year, getting kids home at the end of the day has been challenging. I am aware of issues regarding the afternoon buses and am working with transportation to solve them. Thank you for your patience.
Another concern is afterschool pick up. I hope that in a week or so, when the buses are running smoothly, some of you will consider sending your children on the bus. When after school enrichments begin, that will also alleviate some of the congestion at Glenarm. In addition, you are welcome to park in the surrounding area and walk over. Here are some other guidelines that can help us ensure a safe afternoon pick up.
- We let the first graders out a few minutes early, hoping to help them get to their rides first if they are single riders, so if you are only picking up a first grader, come at about 3:20 and we’ll try to get you in and out.
- If you have more than one child, or if your children are older, please consider coming between 3:40 and 3:45. The loading area (kiss and drop) on Glenarm is almost empty then.
- Please do not leave your car. Staff members try to help kids get to their cars so parents don’t have to wait. If a staff member asks what child you are waiting for, please tell them. We will help locate them and get them to your car.
- Please do not double park. The traffic behind you backs up past 22nd and no one can go around.
- Once your children are safely buckled in, please move on to your next activity to open the space for someone else.
- Walking parents. Thank you! It’s great to socialize at school but, please do not congregate at the foot of the stairs. Staff are working diligently to watch for parents and get students safely to cars, and the more crowded it is, the more difficult their task.
- Please use the crossing guard at Glenarm and 22nd. There’s lots of activity and it’s easy to miss people walking across at various points. People are usually more careful to look for pedestrians at the crosswalk.
Thanks again for all your support and for entrusting your children to our care!
Anne Sterrett, Principal